Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

To Cook or Not to Cook?

Kitchen plaque from the 1960s/ 70s.
Dish washers save marriages. Unfortunately, they also waste both water and oil (our house has an oil burner). They are hardly environmentally friendly. Even though I have one, I only use it occasionally such as when I have people over for a party and can't fathom cleaning 12 plates in each size in addition to pots, and platters.

Even though I rarely use the dishwasher, its presence offers me the option to use it and dissuades me from ever complaining about having to clean the dishes, pots and pans. As such, we never fight over doing the dishes (or rather I fight about always having to do the dishes).

The ever-present option of taking the easy way out is reassuring and conciliatory. Being alone on Friday night, I opted to Close the Kitchen and make a sandwhich. After I brewed a pot of tea and sat down with my SONY eReader to continue my book.

A break from routine is always refreshing. So once in a while, call in sick to dinner, and close your kitchen as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment